Thursday, March 20, 2008

How to Gain Control of the Tongue

If we set bits in the horses' mouths to make them obey us, we can turn their whole bodies about.
Likewise, look at the ships: though they are so great and are driven by rough winds, they are steered by a very small rudder wherever the impulse of the helmsman determines.

Even so the tongue is a little member, and it can boast of great things. See how much wood or how great a forest a tiny spark can set ablaze!

And the tongue is a fire. The tongue is a world of wickedness set among our members, contaminating and depraving the whole body and setting on fire the wheel of birth (the cycle of man's nature), being itself ignited by hell.

For every kind of beast and bird, of reptile and sea animal, can be tamed and has been tamed by human genius.

But the human tongue can be tamed by no man. It is a restless, undisciplined, irreconcilable, evil, and full of deadly poison.
- James 3:3-8

I think that the tongue can be the most destructive force in a persons life. I think that what James is telling us in these Scriptures must be taken very seriously. The tongue is not to be taken lightly.

I agree that the tongue cannot be tamed. However, if we prevent the tongue from ever becoming contaminated we will have no need to tame it. It will already be under the authority of the Lord.

I believe that our battle with the tongue begins in the mind. II Corinthians 10:5b says; ...and we lead every thought and purpose captive into the obedience of Christ. We need to submit before there is ever a word said. When an unclean, wicked, or useless thought enters our mind, that is when we must reject it and submit it to the Lord.

Let me try to give you a practical example...

Let's say that you and your husband are having a nice day, and you decide to make it nicer by going for a walk. While on your walk a very attractive and scantily clad young woman walks into your husband's line of sight. You see him take a quick peak and move on. At first you say nothing. However, you are thinking up a storm. You are thinking one or more thoughts like these; "Who does he think he is?, I can't believe that he checked out that bimbo!, What a jerk!, How could he do that with me walking right next to him?, I guess I can't blame him...I wish I had a body like that." (You may think different negative thoughts. These were just for my example.)

After a few minutes of useless pondering you may say something like; "I saw you looking at that woman, and I don't appreciate it!" Then he may respond; "What woman?" Then you lose your cool and a fight begins. Why? Because you let your thoughts run amuck. Then you allowed them to form words that are pointless to say.

The point is, think about what you're thinking. If the thoughts are negative or have the ability to go to places that are unhealthy or pointless, then lay them down. Hold EVERY thought captive under the authority of Jesus Christ. Then they will never become a hurricane like force of words that have the power to destroy relationships. This was just one example. You can use this same concept with just about any annoying or troublesome situation.

Let's pray;

Daddy God, please help me to gain control of my thought life. Help me to pay closer attention to what I am allowing myself to think. I want my thought life to be pleasing to You. Help me to recognize my thought before it becomes a sinful and hurtful word. Thank You for Your Word and for loving me enough to warn me of my tongues potential power for destruction. In Jesus Mighty name, Amen.

Lara

No comments:

Credits

DesignedbyLara.com