Saturday, March 22, 2008

Blessing and Cursing

With it we bless the Lord and Father, and with it we curse men who were made in God's likeness!

Out of the same mouth come forth blessing and cursing. These things, my brethren, ought not to be so.

Does a fountain send forth [simultaneously] from the same opening fresh water and bitter?

Can a fig tree, my brethren, bear olives, or a grapevine figs? Neither can a salt spring furnish fresh water. - James 3:9-12


Two faced "tongue"...or sword! Do YOU have one?

We have all been guilty of this to some degree. We put on a smile to someone's face and when they are not around we say something rude about them or maybe we participate by listening to gossip about them.

Another example is when you see a woman at church not dressed as conservatively as she should be...or even at the mall...then you may say something not so nice about her because of how YOU feel about her outfit. The real issue is US...NOT her! God does not see her that way. He LOVES her and sees beyond that aspect of her. As followers of Christ, shouldn't we? Who are we to judge anyone?

It can also be something simpler...

Have you ever been nice to someone's face, but then not ever want to get to know them because of status, preconceived ideas you have about them, or some other issue that has nothing to do with being a follower of Christ.

We are daughters to the King of Kings. We should never allow our mouths to become something that brings dishonor to God's Holy Name. When people of the world see us participating in gossip or speak rudely about another person it gives our Savior a bad rap.

Or, in the modern world we live in, if we post negatively about someone on our blogs, in chat rooms, forums or PM's, WHO are we really representing? Surely not Christ??

This behavior gives the world yet another reason to scoff at the Church. When we participate in such talk and behavior, we look like hypocrites. We "say" that we are Christians and then we speak like heathens. We need to remember that we are the ONLY bible that some people will ever read.

We also need to remember that we can affect other Christians too, especially baby Christians. We can either turn them off or mislead them into behaving as sinfully as we are. So, it is always best in all circumstances to speak with love and kindness. We should use our mouths to be a blessing to all who hear us no matter what and no matter who!

Another thing that stands out for me is our dialog. If we cuss and swear when we talk not only do we look uneducated, but we are speaking in a manner that we don't even allow our children to. In school, if a child swears they are disciplined. Why is it OK for us adults to do it?

Look at what these Scriptures say...

Galatians 6:7-10:

7 Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, this he will also reap.

8 For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life.

9 Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary.

10 So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, and especially to those who are of the household of the faith.

OUCH! We better be VERY careful WHAT we are sowing, ladies!

I look at it this way. If I tell my children they shouldn't do something, should I be doing it? What will I be teaching them? Living as a person who says, "do as I say, not as I do" is nothing more than a hypocrite. And that my dear sisters will cause our children to run from God not to Him when they grow up.

My point: Speak well of others no matter what and speak like intelligent God loving Christian women! Show LOVE...or should I say "SOW" love to ALL people...NO matter WHAT!

Our God deserves nothing less!

Let's pray,

Daddy God, please, forgive me for ever speaking badly about another person. Forgive me for ever participating in gossip. Forgive me for ever using foul language. Forgive me for ever being judgemental, critical, or unloving to others. I repent and submit my mouth, heart, and mind to You and Your ways. I ask that You help me to always remember that I was bought with a very high price. And because of that I only want to bring glory and honor to Your Precious Name with my tongue. I ask that you help me to cultivate a LOVE walk and to see other the way YOU do. In Jesus Mighty Name, Amen.

Copyright © Lara Velez

Lara

No comments:

Credits

DesignedbyLara.com