Monday, March 24, 2008

Jealousy, Envy, and Selfish Ambition

Who is there among you who is wise and intelligent? Then let him by his noble living show forth his good works with the unobtrusive humility which is the proper attribute of true wisdom.

But if you have bitter jealousy, envy, contention, rivalry, and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not pride yourselves on it and thus be in defiance of and false to the Truth.

This superficial wisdom is not such as comes down from above, but is earthly, unspiritual animal, even devilish (demoniacal).

For wherever there is jealousy, envy, and contention, rivalry, and selfish ambition, there will also be confusion, unrest, disharmony, rebellion and all sorts of evil and vile practices.
- James 3: 13-16

Jealousy and envy are ugly emotions. Throw in selfish ambition and you have a recipe for pain, sin, and heart ache. It is a very sad thing when churches, ministries, pastors, and Christian businesses compete or try to one up each other...or "be better."

A while ago I read over some book proposal guidelines for a few Christian publishing companies. One of the things that they want is for the writer to investigate books that will be in "competition" with their book. I felt a sting in my gut when I read that. Don't misunderstand me, I understand that it is a business.

However, when it comes to the Body of Christ there should be something deeper going on then just "business." Should we "compete?" Shouldn't we ALL have the same goal?? Shouldn't we TRUST God? Doesn't He OWN everything anyway???

We, as Christian have a calling to help the lost and encourage other Believers. There should be a sense of us all striving for the same things...to PLEASE the Lord and help others. Not compete, beat, and get ahead.

There are even rivalries in churches. There are denominational lines, my church is bigger than your church syndrome, we have the better church disease, our music is better than so and so's church, and many more.

Why?

What exactly are we competing for? Do we really think that God is smiling at such behavior? Didn't Jesus say to love one another. To love our neighbor as we love ourselves? Shouldn't the Church as a whole be concentrating on supporting one another?

I believe that rivalry, selfish ambition, and jealousy are one of the causes to the lack of power in the Church today. If we got over ourselves, stood together, and supported each other we would change the world! For sure! We would be a force. We would be UNITED. Can you imagine a world where Christians actually ACTED like CHRISTIANS???

Hmmm...Something to think about, eh?

Let's Pray,

Daddy God, Please forgive me for ever feeling envy, jealousy, or trying to compete with my brothers and sisters. Forgive me for not acting in a manner that pleases You and brings glory to Your Name. I ask that you help me to be a blessing to all people. I pray that you show me ways that I can be a bless others. Help me to love and let go of any and ALL envy, rivalry, jealousy, and selfish ambitions that I may have. Thank You. In Jesus Mighty Name, Amen.

Lara

No comments:

Credits

DesignedbyLara.com